Contini logo

120 years of history

The long history of the Contini estate began in 1898, thanks to Salvatore Contini and his flair for business. At the time, the most widely produced wine was Vernaccia and Salvatore devoted his life and work to improving and promoting it. His efforts paid off: Salvatore was awarded the gold medal at the International Exhibition of Milan in 1912 for his Vernaccia di Oristano and in 1971 it was the first wine in Sardinia to be granted the official controlled designation of origin.

In the Thirties, Salvatore was joined by his son Attilio, who took over the running of the company on the eve of the Second World War. In the Sixties, the company, which until then had been a family-run business, decided to consolidate its position by purchasing grapes from local producers, thus increasing its production capacity. The Eighties were a turning point for the winery, because historical and social changes began to influence consumer lifestyles. During this transitional period, the Contini family identified a significant opportunity for growth. The winery decided to begin production of new wines aimed at a younger, more dynamic public, while remaining faithful to its ties with Sardinia. The estate’s long history continues.